Forums

Go Back   Platinax Business Forums > Business > Management

Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default Business management online

Todd posts an excellent and comprehensive article on issues CEO's really should be addressing *before* they get their project online:

18 Questions Your CEO Forgot to Ask When Building Your Website

I can't count the number of times I've had a client or prospective client approach me where they essentially left their web development down to "their mate Dave down the pub".

It's actually pretty astonishing how badly thought out a lot of web approaches are - small businesses that look to set up with good suppliers, good accountants, and even a good solicitor if required at the start.

But then when it comes to estting up their business on the biggest media platform on the planet, effort made = minimal.

It doesn't help that there are web develpment companies out there who are great at dealing with coding issues, but don't have a clue about marketing or SEO.

All the more reason for for management to take the time to bother to read up about the internet and be aware of the issues that they'll face.

Or else lose a lot of money, time, and customers because of it.

Hence why articles such as Todd's article should be among a portfolio of essential reading from the start.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Business management online

lol.

I cant believe how tight people are with the internet. Alot of it comes down to the fact that nerds are making money. They'd rather starve their entire company of good business that pay a nerd more than the minimum wage.

But really. I remember a while back reading an article about what it was like a few years ago where businesses would spend a fotune on leather furniture and interior decorating for their foyer and meeting room but still go for a .freeserve domain because it was free and still use basic html because THEY WANT TO RETAIN CONTROL OVER IT. Geez, I can understand, but really, when you come up againast it your like, er, yeah, but thats sooooo stupid.

I have clients with dial up still, and not small fry, big companies that providde services to top end financial organisations. Dial up and one computer thats in the meeting room to impress clients.

The biggest problem with clients is they cant see under the bonett and all they need is a smarmy account executive to show them a snazzy bit of flash and they're impressed.

Seriously, for a walk on the mentally retarded side, stroll through this directory lomasdavies dot net which is a directory of ARCHITECTS.....

Seriously, there are in that directory about 10 resonable web sides, and the rest are....... just look for yourselves. And remember they are all architects, all responsible for the architecture we live in. All victims to the fast talk of fancy idoits.

er, you know. I witter from time to time.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:56 AM

lomasdavies.net/internet/Architecture/architect/link0.html
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 AM

OMG try this 51pct.com
Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 AM

I seriously recommend going from the start to the end. I did it one evening for research as I have an architect and IT DOES NOT GET BETTER in fact it gets worse.

5thstudio.co.uk
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 AM

That article mentions traffic monitoring. I was wondering how YOU. Brian and others, communicate traffic stats to your clients?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

At present I don't provide direct tracking data, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Most of the time we have a targeted set of keywords, and we use those as a flagship for how well the SEO program is doing.

It's not ideal - I've already been looking at tracking solutions to figure out the actual conversion rate and profits from SEO, but I've not been happy at the option of using third-parties. Current stats tracking systems tend to either rely on a third-party for logs analysis, or else use a Javascript insert, neither of which is desirable to me.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 PM

I couldn't do what I do without a very strong counter solution, which is both simple and imformative and its based on php. Basically because people find it hard to know what your talking about it needs to be really simple. Its based on 4 server side (php) factors, date, time, ip and source. There are 4 pages which have evolved from 1. They are:

Counter
Search Terms
Overview
Companies

Counter: This starts with two bar graphs that show dailey hits over the last month and monthly totals over the last year. They love to see the monthly bar chart going up in year one, nice and healthy. Below that there is a verse chronological list of the last 100 hits which also flags reverse ip's that are companies so people can see when large domain named networks have been on the site. The list shows date, time, reverse IP and source. 50% of the sources are empty but the ones that are full are linked so you can click and see where they came from.

Search Terms: This is essentially an extract of most search terms from Google strings which runs aphabetically with a number to show how many times its been hit, for example

seo 3
seo scotland 1
seo comapnies in uk 1
seo jobs lol 1

etc and after that are 4 links in light grey that go to Google, MSN, Yahoo and AOL with that term and search for it, so for example if you thought SEO Scotland was ideal then you click google and it does the search. This strategy gives you a much broader picture. There are no stats per say, the layout speaks for itself.

Overview: This is the main section. It has all the info including billing, keywords, description, 1-5 matrix charts for SEO results for keywords (manually updated), domain details, renewals, total search engine traffic levels for last 365 days, suggested upgrades and a list of all directories with volumes of hits from that directory so you can gauge how well a directory listing is doing for you. Also has Search Engine Cached pages, search engine links and page ranking. All manually updated.

Companies: This is a latest invention, its a list of all the reverse IP's that have domains as a list of links with a manual exception list for ISP's. Essentially clients can then see who has been on their site which gets them excited. More importantly though for me I can see where the big players come from and as you would expect most of them come from Google but you can see when they come from an obscure directory like Aardvark.

So thats my counter. The idea is that I can speak to a client over the phone and I can say, look at your counter, you see that, etc etc and that etc. But the beauty is that all this information is based on four factors, time, date, ip and source.

About 50% of my customers look at it regularly and it gives you an excellent 'currency' or common ground because they can check it out whenever they want and they notice stuff. Also its nice to call up and say, I see BIG COMPANY has been on your site and they get excited because that could be work so your off to a good start.

Without all that i'd be in the dark completely. Especially in the lower end of the market were I am where typical daily unique hits are 10. I only have 1 company getting more than 100 a day.

If you want to know more and can offer me something I could seriously help you out with this as its vital to communication. Current barter rate is two naked cute girls please thankyou. For the evening.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:48 PM

or data.

i need data

industrial data
Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke2 View Post
Current barter rate is two naked cute girls please thankyou. For the evening.
Damn - knew I should have started that "African Brides" business.

A PHP solutions, especially on some of the points you raise, certainly sounds interesting.

If it's not a silly question, though, are you able to distinguish hits from search engines via PPC vs organic? Are you then able to track how many of each then visit a specific order page?

If so, I may have those girls for you...